5 Self-Care Strategies for the Holidays
Are you on your holiday list this year? If not, you should be. Self-care isn’t selfish; it’s an act of love and a crucial part of staying sober. Here’s how to maintain your personal health and wellness while managing the holiday season.
1. Just breathe. It’s easy to get swept up in the season and to forget to slow down and breath. Deep breathing is a great relaxation strategy that you can do anytime, anywhere.
2. Set boundaries. Take a minute to slow down and ask yourself: What do I want to gain this holiday season? What traditions are most important to me? What do I value most?
3. Tap into your senses. Our senses are an important yet oft-overlooked part of self-care Think of ways to include sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing in order to rejuvenate your body and mind. Some ideas:
- Take a bubble bath and light some scented candles.
- Wrap yourself in a snuggly blanket and watch a holiday movie.
- Play your favorite music while sipping a cup of soothing tea.
4. Strive for moderation. It’s easy to overindulge this time of year – over scheduling, eating too much, staying up too late and spending too much, for instance – but excessive behaviors can be risky for your recovery. Do enjoy yourself, but don’t overdo it. Remember: Your recovery and overall health comes first.
5. Let go of expectations. One of the best ways to take care of yourself during this emotionally trying time is to give up your expectations of the perfect family with the perfect tree with the perfect gifts. This type of thinking is extremely damaging to your recovery. Letting go of these unrealistic ideals will help you to experience greater joy in the reality of the moment.
May health and happiness be yours this holiday season and throughout the year!
Begin Recovery at 10 Acre
Just because it’s the holidays, it doesn’t mean you need to hold off on beginning your recovery journey. If you are a male ready to discover the miracles of addiction recovery, please contact 10 Acre Ranch today. Call: 877-228-4679.