Staying Motivated in Recovery: Questions to Ask Yourself
The recovery process is hard work and you’ll likely need a few strategies along the way to keep you motivated. Here are some questions to help you stay the course and serve as a reminder of why you made the decision to get sober in the first place.
- How can I keep going even when I feel uncomfortable? The recovery process is going to be uncomfortable with a lot of emotional and physical changes along the way. Have patience and remind yourself that with time and consistency, it will become easier.
- How can I allow others to support me? Now isn’t the time to isolate yourself but to surround yourself with peers, friends and family who support your recovery. After all, it’s much easier to walk the road of recovery with someone alongside you than on your own.
- What is one mini-goal I can set today? Consider using the popular goal-setting strategy called “SMART,” which stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely or Time-sensitive. For example, a SMART Goal might be to walk for 30 minutes, every day, for six days a week, starting on Monday.
- What qualities make me a unique and special person? A big part of recovery is learning how to rediscover yourself and your identity apart from drugs or alcohol. Start by writing three things about yourself that you’re proud of – and add to the list regularly.
- How will life be better without drugs and alcohol? If you hang in there and do the work, you’ll come out the other side with better health, hope and happiness. Some things to look forward to: more energy, more meaningful relationships and more self-confidence.
The Journey of Recovery Starts With Treatment
Your journey begins with detox and/or addiction treatment. If you are a male ready to discover the miracles of addiction recovery, please contact 10 Acre Ranch today. Call 877-228-4679.